VIDEO: Jesse Hagopian – The Education Uprising You Want to Know About
In 2013 Laura Flanders said, “Education reform is a hot topic.” It is an even hotter topic today in 2017. Trump-Devos are directly challenging the national democratic of the American people in their use of extreme measures to privatize the U.S. public schools system. Still worse, this assault on democracy is no longer receiving the attention it deserves in the media because of the Trump administration’s links with Russia. One sensational story after another followed by an endless barrage of provocative Tweets are deflecting attention away from the threats to democracy caused by the privatization of public schools and the damage being done to children in the U.S. by the overuse of highly profitable high stakes tests, which have nothing to do with teaching and learning.
So much is going on we all find it difficult to stay focused, which is why the Laura Flanders interview of Jesse Hagopian (@JessedHagopian) is as relevant today as it was when it was first aired in 2013. Jesse is one of the public school teachers who is leading the movement against the charter school take over by the elites. He is a leader of the push back against the profiteers who are making hundreds of millions every year from common core and high stakes tests. In this interview with Laura Flanders he talks about the reduction of leaning to A, B, C, or D thinking, and says “they would never do that to their own kids.” He states that for their own kids they want creativity and critical thinking, but for our kids they want rote learning and memorization.
He talks about the union busting going on to make the U.S. a low-income economy, and the training of the entire population to conform to the will of the elites. He also talks about the work we must do to empower all students. He makes the case that our kids will need knowledge and wisdom if they are going to tackle the problems we face today.
The Laura Flanders Show: The Education Uprising You Want to Know About with Jesse Hagopian
Listen to Jesse. He will encourage you to keep up the struggle and not to be bamboozled by the insanity of what’s happening in Washington. Put your trust in public school teachers and other caring professionals, for they are the ones who will take care of our children in these bizarre and troubling times.
More Than a Score: The New Uprising Against High-Stakes Testing (Haymarket Books). Edited by Jesse Hagopian, Foreword by Alfie Kohn, Preface by Diane Ravitch
Related: Garn Press Education Books
- Teaching without Testing: Assessing the Complexity of Children’s Literacy Learning
- Preparing the Nation’s Teachers to Teach Reading: A Manifesto in Defense of “Teacher Educators Like Me”
- First Do No Harm: Progressive Education In A Time Of Existential Risk
- Raising Peacemakers
- Negotiating a Permeable Curriculum
- A Parent’s Guide to Public Education in the 21st Century
- The Educator And The Oligarch: A Teacher Challenges The Gates Foundation
- Beware the Roadbuilders: Literature as Resistance
- Ken Goodman – The 1992-1993 Interviews of Renowned Reading Scholars
- What’s Whole In Whole Language In The 21st Century?
- Save Our Children, Save Our School, Pearson Broke The Golden Rule: A Satire
- Great Women Scholars: Yetta Goodman, Maxine Greene, Louise Rosenblatt, Margaret Meek Spencer
- Nineteen Clues: Great Transformations Can Be Achieved Through Collective Action