VIDEO: 2018 World Economic Forum: Global Science Outlook
How can large-scale research collaborations strengthen science and nurture a broader environment of international cooperation? Moderated by Mariette DiChristina, Editor-in-Chief, Scientific American, USA.
Global Science Outlook
- Sarah bint Yousif Al Amiri, Minister of State for Advanced Sciences of the United Arab Emirates
- Sue Desmond-Hellmann, Chief Executive Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates
- Jeremy Farrar, Director, Wellcome Trust, United Kingdom
- Lars Heikensten, Executive Director, Nobel Foundation, Sweden
- V. Ramgopal Rao, Director, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India
A great panel discussion on the Global Science Outlook from the 2018 World Economic Forum. At Garn Press we continually question how decision makers can reach consensus about actionable knowledge when the key participants in the discussions have widely differing and disconnected values, ethics, emotions, spiritual beliefs, levels of trust, interests, and power? What happens if they cannot agree, if no action is taken, or when there are no solutions, or when reason does not prevail? How do we fund science in the future? And has science outpaced the human capacity to respond to the real-world events taking place, or have real-world events outpaced science?